View Post

Puerto Rican’s: The Perfect Human Being?

If that title surprised you, well it also surprised me so I clicked on the link when I saw that in one of my many emails and found an article that explained that heading. It’s interesting reading and also fun as it was also received on the island with a lot of jokes about the present politicians asking: Are these …

View Post

A Feel Good Event That Benefitted The Community

Last Friday, two South Bronx organizations teamed up for a Puerto Rican Heritage Month event to benefit all parties, but most important to bring some love to the community with a feel good film for all ages. Pregones Theater and Latino Sports, two organizations doing incredible work with both, culture and sports organized the Bronx premiere of the animation film, …

View Post

Another Bronx Issue Pits Community Against Each Other

On Monday several hundred people from all ranks, majority Bronx residents packed a Hostos Community College auditorium to express their opinion at the Empire State Development’s Public Hearing on whether to grant Fresh Direct corporation a $9million dollar grant and $1 million dollar loan for their relocation to the South Bronx.

View Post

Bronx Puerto Rican Community Missing From CNN’s Parts Unknown

My wife and a good friend from Puerto Rico all sat around with me to watch the new episode of CNN’s Anthony Bourdain’s – Parts Unknown on Sunday. This particular piece was going to feature a piece on my home, the Bronx. Anthony Bourdain – Parts Unknown is one of my favorite programs and I have really learned a lot …

Salsa With Tipica 73 & Roberto Clemente

This coming Sunday Tipica 73, the legendary Salsa orchestra will be performing and the concert is dedicated to the Retire 21 Campaign. Read more and learn how you can join this important movement to retire Roberto Clemente’s #21. Latino Sports and the Bronx Tourism Council invites. Get the details: Latinosports

My Mixed Feelings On The 116th St Festival & PR Parade

I love to party as much as every other Boricua, Especially being a true Salsero, I love my music and every part of our culture. So every year the 116th Street festival in El Barrio is a must for me. The festival being the day before the Puerto Rican Day parade makes that weekend a great one for us to …

View Post

Interview with Telemundo on South Bronx History

The Bronx is celebrating its 100th anniversary. The Spanish language news station, Telemundo called me and were interested in interviewing me on my take on the changes I have seen in my borough. I have been living in the borough since my family migrated here in 1956 and they thought that I could give them a better walking tour than …

Fresh Direct Is Still Not: A Done Deal

Though Fresh Direct recently won a court decision that had all of its supporters doing victory laps, the reality is that this is NOT A DONE DEAL. The following explains additional hurdles that Fresh Direct has to overcome before they can start digging for their now facility in the South Bronx (AKA asthma alley).